Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mock Podium Training

We had the first of two routine days at the camp today. We treated it just like podium training at the Olympics, which is basically a trial run for the actual competition. It will happen three days before Team Prelims in China, so we did the same thing here. A few months ago, they randomly drew the sessions for each team competing in the Olympics and we drew rings as our starting event and we are in the first session. Also, the OTC hooked up up with all the JF equipment, which is the same equipment being used at the Olympics. It took some time to get adjusted to the new stuff, but for the most part it's all really good. So we started on rings today and went through every event. I had a solid ring routine and I was pretty happy with my strength. I felt strong. My vault went great, and so did p-bars. I felt great on HBar and the routine went really well. I did leave out the Tkachev, but that was no big deal. Floor was next and this has been the hardest event to get adjusted to. The JF floor is foam blocks, not sprigs, so it's a little stiffer. I hit my routine, but you definitely have to be a little tighter on that floor. Pommels was last and I hit. I had a split going into my Wu, but besides that it was a good set. I love the JF pommel horse. It's a little wider, harder, and I feel like I have more room to place my hands. Overall, the day went really well. The whole team was supporting each other throughout the whole day, and it was great to see where everyone is at with their preparations. Saturday will be a little more formal, with a bigger crowd and some more judges, but we all accomplished exactly what we had to today. Team USA is looking strong. I am impressed with everyone and I am excited about the rest of the week. If you are in the Colorado Springs area on Saturday, stop by the OTC at 12:00pm and watch the USA Men's Olympic Gymnastics Team in action.

3 comments:

NJ Anderson said...

We are coming up from Albuquerque for the meet on Saturday. Can't wait to see Team USA in action!

zhù nǐ chéng gōng !

That's "Wish you success!" in Chinese.

Anonymous said...

sounds like the team is doing well. can't wait to hear about the meet

oh and tell everyone no injuries please. we had enough of those from the women already

Dithunya Seitsang lekoa said...

hei dude, i wish you the best.from Botswana