Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Past Few Days

It's been an exciting past few days. I've gotten to watch all of the gymnastics events as well as some other sports. Women's AA was incredible! Finally hearing the National Anthem gave me the chills. Our girls did a great job and it was a well deserved one-two finish.
Having gone to Stanford, I have quite a few friends and old classmates who are competing here. I have wanted to get to some other events to watch and support them. I was able to watch men's volleyball the other day and I went to men's waterpolo yesterday. They both won their matches and the waterpolo team beat the #1 team in the world, Croatia, which was a great win for them. I lived in the same fraternity with some of the guys on both teams, and to be here all together at the Olympics is kind of cool. Hopefully, I'll get to see some more over the next few days.
Other than that, I been trying to enjoy myself as much as possible. I've been to a bunch of cool parties and met athletes from all over the world. I plan on watching all of event finals over the next few days and hopefully watching an event in the Birds Nest. I want to watch something in that stadium before I leave.
Ok, one last thing. Last night I went with my parents to dinner...this was no ordinary dinner. We ate at this outdoor market where they have some CRAZY stuff. Everything comes on skewers, so it's easy to pick and choose different things and sample a bunch of stuff. As you come up to this market, it's mobbed with people and has a very interesting variety of smells. Every breathe you take seems to be something different with the smells ranging from mouthwatering, to new and interesting, to down right nasty. I am pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new things so I wanted to see how far I could go. I started with some easy stuff (dumplings, lamb, shrimp) and worked my way up. Next, chicken hearts...they were actually really good. Then baby octopus...I love sushi and so this one wasn't that much of a stretch. A little chewy, but still good. Next up, snake...a lot more chewy than I was expecting, but ok. Definitely a new texture for me. Lastly, silk worm...I figured I probably won't have a chance to try one of these again so why not. They are BIG and instead of thinking about what I was eating I just threw it in my mouth and tried to finish quickly. The hard shell was getting stuck in my teeth and the insides tasted like dirt. Not the most pleasant thing to eat and I probably won't eat another one in my life, but I can say that I at least tried a silk worm. That was as far as I could take it. There were some other things out that were way beyond me, and I don't even think the locals were willing to eat that stuff. It was an amazing experience and I was glad to have some Chinese street food!
I also wanted to say thank you to all the people who have posted comments and sent me messages over the past week. Your words have meant a lot to me and I have read all of them many times. If you guys have any questions for me, just post them and I'll answer as many as I can. Thanks again.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Even as a Chinese myself, I dare not to eat things such as snake, silk worm, how brave you are, haha!
You can ask some guy familiar with Beijing to offer you the real places for chinese foods there.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog and have a way to thank you for being such a class act and an amazing representative of our country. Your bravery is inspiring (both in terms of supporting your team and trying silk work!!!) As a fellow Stanford alum I've been rooting for you and David Sender throughout this whole process. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you dreamed of, but I hope you know you displayed some Olympic caliber characteristics that are even more important than the athletic ones.

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Sounds like you have really been making the most of being in Beijing and enjoying the Olympic experience! Other than the men's bronze medal, what memory from this Olympics do you think will stay in your mind forever?

And, as a fraternity/sorority professional, I have to ask what fraternity you lived in....

Karma said...

Wow! You seem like such an incredible person! I, too, have been watching the Olympics! Woohoo! It has been amazing! :D Congrats on making the Blgos of Note. :D

Mr. Nissan said...

I know those dumpling and lamb shrimp was good

Matt said...

dave - nice blog! keep up the good work!

Rural Reporter said...

Hi, congrats. for what?? ...I say you deserve to be congratulated for a no. of reasons. All I can say, its wonderful for me to get a chance to read the blog and send you a comment. best of luck.

King Sidharth said...

Hey u r gr8. I am 16 and edit an e-magazine for teens. See here: http://frndz.terpad.com
Hope I could take your interview for next issue.Pleaseeee...
mail me: king.sidharth@yahoo.com

Bombchell said...

lol the word street food is enough to make you run. omg how courageous!! i remember back home, everything street tasted so good, but u knew you could be sick the next day lol.this must all be a lovely

this must all be a wonderful experience, for you, to have your old friends there, wow, and i thought all frats were just drinking friends.

wow such an interesting blog, I'm stunned. glad I checked out the links for blog of note/ the day.

Sara said...

I"m so glad your taking everything in...and events. I was working it Utah for what is now BOB (then called ISB-international sports broadcasting) one of the highlight of my life! The closest I got to an event though was the closed curcuit feeds to my office. Your trip sounds a lot more active:) Keep having fun and trying new things!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Sounds like you're really making the most of your time in Beijing, Dave. Good for you! You're certainly braver than I with respect to your adventurous eating. Bravo! Its a real treat to be able to share in the Olympic experience via your blog. As a long time Olympic geek - I can't thank you enough for that. Keep it up and I'll be delighted to read about your ongoing adventures.

Congrats again and have a wonderful time!

Kristen said...

What no skewered scorpion? ;) They keep showing that on Good Morning America and other shows. I'm so glad that you and the other athletes seem to be able to be out and about enjoying Beijing and other various competetions. Do you have security taking you around? Do you feel safe? After the early attacks, it makes me wonder what the feeling is for someone there.

Unknown said...

Have a good result?
Competition finished, you may be go to The most of the BeiJing's places to play and visit,
The Chinese [eople will be quite Friendly to yours...
relax their ah!
Right,and do not forget to eat Chinese foods!
Very delicious oh

Festa said...

Dude, you are the best. Liz and i are keeping tabs on you and can't wait to see you again. Oh yeah, don't eat anything that has the word rectum attached to it. Trust me, unlike worms, it does not taste like dirt.

Mike Di said...

Hey Dave, we've been watching as well and it has been such an exciting olympics. Hope to see you soon. We saw you on the Today Show last week, awesome!!! I think Sofia is ready to do some flips, she'll need some pointers...

Ciao for now...

Dhifa said...

I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog and have a way to thank you for being such a class act and an amazing representative of our country. Your bravery is inspiring (both in terms of supporting your team and trying silk work!!!) As a fellow Stanford alum I've been rooting for you and David Sender throughout this whole process. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you dreamed of, but I hope you know you displayed some Olympic caliber characteristics that are even more important than the athletic ones.

vinu said...

You Are Great , Keep it up, Best Wishes.....

http://worldsportsinfo.blogspot.com

Donnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erika said...

I love reading random blogs, and how cool it was to find yours! My husband and I have been watching the olympics every night, we just love it! We loved watching you on TV with the NBC commentary, it was great to see how happy you were for your team! I can only imagine all of the experiences you're having there. I must say, you are more adventureous in your food intake than I! I can't even handle seafood, let alone silkworm or chicken hearts! Keep posting, its great to hear about all of your experiences!

SG Human Performance said...

Dave! I am so proud of you. I don't know if you remember me or not, but I was one of your athletic trainers back at Stanford (Mark Snow). Just wanted to say that I am very proud to have known you and how well you are handling yourself throughout the olympic trials (your comeback on day 2) and throughout the olympics. I have told everyone that I used to work with you at Stanford. Great job buddy and keep up the good work you Stud!


Sincerely,

Mark http://sghumanperformance.blogspot.com/

ancient clown said...

Blessings:

I was interested in getting the athlete's thoughts themselves on participating in murder and corruption, or if you felt that as an athlete, you are exempt from the crimes committed against the people while preparations are being made for your performance?
I was wondering if you thought you were having a greater impact on equality by participating and perpetuating in it's removal or if you even cared at all that by the 2010 Olympics well over 2010 people will have been killed so you can perform your(drugfree)best...but your refusal to be used this way could starting saving those lives today.
I was also wondering if you could share this message with ALL the other athletes from ALL the other countries and leave their thoughts here and/or here.
thank you very much for your participation.
your humble servant,
ancient clown

cl-laR7eT+3 said...

lucky you had the chance to experience China! Enjoy!!!

Ding Fan Yun said...

silk worm? Never heard of it. I didn't know Beijing people had become so adventurous on foods.
BTW, you should feel a bit lucky that you are in Beijing instead of Guangdong.
Those Cantonese just eat whatever tangible.
Still, so happy that you have enjoyed yourself in China. As a Chinese, I fell good. :)

Topanga said...

I didn't know that muscular men could write. :)

Anonymous said...

boğaz turu
bogaz turu
tekne turu
kiralık tekne