Thursday, August 7, 2008

8/8/08

This date has been etched in my mind for a very long time. It is the start of the Olympic Games, but at the same time it is an end for me. It is the end of the preparation part of what will probably be the biggest goal I will ever attempt to achieve in my life. As an alternate, I have come up just a bit short of accomplishing this goal, but it has still been an incredible journey. Over past few weeks, we have endured a few injuries to the team that were very unfortunate. In the wake of those injuries I have continued to prepare in case my name was called to replace someone. Both times I was passed over, the most recent one coming last night. To be very honest, it has been a very emotional few weeks and I never thought my Olympic story would be written in this way. I understand that on paper this is how the process is supposed to work, but I never thought we would have to go thorough so much before the competition ever started. Fortunately, we are a deep team and can make up for guys who are lost. I have complete confidence in the team who will be competing tomorrow and I will be in the stands cheering them all the way. We all talk about how we are more than just a team, but a family. We always fight for each other and are willing to do anything to make sure we succeed. I believe in this team with all my heart, and even with all we've been through I still believe we have a good shot at a medal. Over the next few days watch Team USA compete against the best teams in the world and cheer us on. I know you'll be supporting us, and we'll be doing everything we can to bring back a medal for the USA.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

David, I've been rooting for you from the beginning and frankly thought you should have been chosen over Sasha. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hey bro,

I'm sure this has been a trying time for you. I'll watch all the gymnastics and support the team, but will remain convinced that the selection team did our country a disservice by not putting you on the competition floor. I hope you realize that all of your former teammates and everyone who knows you have such tremendous respect and admiration for all you have accomplished in the sport of gymnastics. Your work ethic and determination are unparalleled, and are an inspiration to all of us. Enjoy your Olympic experience and I hope to see you soon. Also, I hope you enjoyed this brief moment where I made no attempt at comedy.

Justin

Yezzie said...

You are a GREAT gymnast and person. I too believe you should've been on this team. Never in an alternate position. Have fun though in Beijing I'm sure the memories other than the gym related ones will last a lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
You are an incredible person and gymnast! You have achieved more than most! Even though you feel like your goal was cut short, you still made it to the games. You are there. Enjoy it and take it all in. I am so proud of you.

Mike Di said...

Dave, all of us have been following your story day by day, hour by hour. We are so proud of what you've accomplished, you're an inspiration to all your family and friends. I was with Marc last night and he told me he spoke with you. We're thinking about you, enjoy the experience.

Anonymous said...

Dave, thank you so much for sharing your journey thus far with us. I have really enjoyed reading your posts through the last few weeks and having the glimpse of what all goes on inside.

I wish you could have been the one chosen to represent Team USA, but in the end, know you have nothing of which to regret. Take it all in and enjoy - and know that as you cheer from the stands, there are many of us cheering back home, too.

MsM said...

Dave, I have so much respect for you and how you are handling this situation. Others would have pouted and complained, not you. You continue to believe in the team and wish them the best. Of course, we thought you should have been named to the team in the first place.

haane said...

you're a superstar! well written, dave. you're my hero.

Rebekah said...

THanks for letting us know what's going on. FOr one thing I really feel that the us team is not the best it can be because your not on it. You should of been on it from the begining especially to take the place of Morgan. But as I have learn over the past few years the Lord allows thing to happen and we don't know the reason why for months or even years even when you do the best you can do. Enjoy this time and now that alot of people from home respect you and are proud of you. I'll be cheering you all on with all my heart.
Rebekah

Anonymous said...

Dave, I don't know much except what I've read on your blogs, but I wish you the greatest success. You are there in spirit cheering the guys on, and I wish you all the best. As said earlier, all your teammates greatly respect you and appreciate your support. Thank you for your dedication to this team thus far :)

Eloisa said...

good luck, dave!